Saturday, December 19, 2009

Barking at a knot.

 I really want to know what some of your favorite expressions and phrases are.

My Nana drove us to the airport yesterday, so we had a nice hour to spend talking about the world, our family and life in general.  It was during the car ride that I realized I hardly know any sayings that my Nana uses in normal conversation.  (And apparently these are common things that people used to say.)

So, I'd like to know what some of the prized and best known ones are, that have been used in your family.

Some of the ones that were new to me were:

    * "Cut one's teeth"  meaning to getone's first experience by doing (although I have to admit the visual I got for this one was quite interesting)
    * "Barking at a knot"  meaning that your efforts were as useless as a dog barking at a knot.

Let's hear it...what are you favorites that your grandparents or parents used to say?

Please comment.

1 comment:

  1. Is a frog waterproof? (Obviously...)

    Like herding cats (Damn near impossible)

    Like a herd of turtles (Unbelievably slow)

    The cat's pajamas (Mighty fine)

    I could go on and on. I'm a veritable fountain of this sort of trivia!

    ReplyDelete