Friday, August 8, 2008
I've been asked by a few people to share this delicious recipe...Please enjoy! I know we do, every time we eat these yummy treats.
Zucchini Carrot Muffins with Cinnamon Crumble
These muffins are moist and delicious. They are a popular treat among my vegan and non-vegan friends. They seem to be more delectable with fresh zucchini and carrots from the garden...If you are a dairy lovin' fool just substitute with the good 'ol fashioned stuff...
- 2/3 cup melted vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
- 2 servings of egg replacer mixed with water (I use Bob's Red Mill)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot (the sweeter the better)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (my favorite are pecans)(optional)
Optional Cinnamon Crumb Topping:
- 2 teaspoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (or to taste)
1. Grease and flour 12 muffin cups. Heat oven to 375°.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat the melted vegan butter with egg replacer and water, sugars, and vanilla extract.
3. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt nutmeg and cinnamon; add to the wet ingredients; stirring until blended. Fold in the shredded zucchini, carrots and nuts.
4. Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full; sprinkle with Cinnamon Crumb Topping (see below) or granulated sugar, if desired.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
Makes about 12 muffins.
Cinnamon Crumb Topping
1. Mix all ingredients together. Use a fork to combine until crumbly. I usually melt the vegan butter.